3/27/15 Havana, Cuba
Mark Twain in Innocents Abroad
wrote about a semi-distinguished group of American travelers who embarked upon
a journey to the Old World of the Mediterranean on the ship, the Quaker City.
Pragmatic and accomplished but generally ignorant of history, the travelers
make naïve but truthful observations about the foreign cultures they met. Lost on
them were the nuances of these foreign lands, upon which they pronounced
judgments confidently.
In contrast to the innocents abroad, Marc Frank is a journalist who has
lived in Cuba for twenty years, and he writes about the complexities of Cuba in
his new book, Cuban Revelations: Behind
the Scenes in Havana. Our group from a Citadel study abroad program met
with him in a Havana restaurant the other day. Frank’s grandfather wrote a book
about the country, so in some sense he inherited his relationship with Cuba and
his appreciation of the intricacies of this foreign culture.
Reading Frank’s book, one learns that Cuba is a totalitarian
dictatorship run by a single political party that persecutes dissidents such as
Osvaldo Paya. In 2015 the vast majority of 11 million Cubans lack access to
internet, and the country affords a special position to one newspaper: Granma, the communist party paper.
Yet there are debates within this seemingly monolithic system. For
instance, Juventud Rebelde, the
communist youth paper, in 2006 wrote a scathing three-part series on graft and
the dismal offerings in shops, bars, and other retail sector services, titled
“The Big Old Swindle.” Some Cubans can get underground access to internet, and
spread its information by word of mouth. There are regional newspapers. Cuba is
an enigma.
However, on this issue I have an affinity with the passengers of the Quaker
City. Cuba effectively has one newspaper: Granma.
This is the only newspaper I see distributed outside my hotel. Reading its
pages, I learned about “US efforts to make the Ukrainian right wing government
a thorn in Russia’s side.” I learned that Caracas declared peace against US
aggression, and the “The United States threatens Venezuela’s national Security”
(Venezuela has a per capita murder rate 2.5 times that of Mexico). I performed
a mental experiment, substituting the names of countries in the headlines of Granma. Imagine the The Wall Street Journal heralding, “It Is Impossible to Seduce or
Buy America, or to Intimidate Britain.” The sole newspaper of Cuba offers
indoctrination, not debate.
I must confess, I get confused sometimes trying to categorize
editorialists in major US newspapers. I know the Wall Street Journal is conservative and the New York Times is liberal. I know that Peggy Noonan is conservative
and Paul Krugman is liberal. But I get confused because I know that David
Brooks writes for the New York Times,
but he is conservative. And the Wall
Street Journal runs Op-Eds from that guy from the Brookings Institute
(liberal), but I can’t remember his name though I recognize his pixilated portrait.
This knowledge is just enough to shake my confidence in my ability to
accurately categorize other writers. Have I missed something? Is that person
from Arkansas whom The Post and Courier
publishes conservative or liberal, or both? The simplicity of Granma is enticing.
But, no. It is hard to swallow the pedantry of Granma. No doubt this is how the travelers on the Quaker City would
see it. Give me the messiness of two newspapers or two hundred newspapers with
a welter of categorizable and uncategorizable writers.

No hay comentarios.:
Publicar un comentario